Recruitment is so much more effective when you’re considered to be an ‘Employer of Choice’.
The benefits of being perceived as an employer of choice means you will:
- Attract quality candidates with talent
- Save on advertising and recruitment fees
How do you become an employer of choice?
There are certain traits that a company will have, which give them a reputation as a place where people want to work.
You may recognise some of these employer of choice characteristics:
- A clear career path; regular meetings with staff to set and review goals
- Training; develop skills with free or sponsored training
- Security; share the vision of the company so that they understand and can be a part of the journey
- Empower and engagement; involve your staff in decisions
- Code of conduct; employees and employers are respected alike
- Say thank you; a reward scheme that shows their efforts are appreciated
- Conducive environment; pleasant working environment with life-style perks that enhances happiness at work
- Commitment; employment contracts are in place and employee handbook clearly sets out the commitment between employer and employee.
One style doesn’t fit all
Companies are extremely different and diverse, as are individuals (your prospective employees). What makes one business more attractive than another will vary from one individual for another. The culture of one company may not suit everyone.
However, the characteristics listed above are good HR practices. Ones that can be tailored to reflect your business.
For example, we’ve recently taken on a number of new clients, ranging from accountants to printers and electricians to a charity, all varying sizes. When talking to them about rewards and benefits that each of these organisations could offer, they will have to differ to fit with the type of business they are.
You can’t implement a policy of working 15 minutes extra Monday – Thursday and then have early closing on a Friday if your customers are expecting you to be there for them right up to 5:30 on the last day of the week. You have to be practical and we bespoke the advice we offer with our clients and their businesses in mind.
Putting in place strategies to become an employer of choice will not only help you recruit the very best talent but it will also help you to retain the very best talent.
If you would like help recruiting and retaining the best talent call Charlie Lloyd on 01737 336336 or email us.